Friday, September 27, 2013

More on the Sugar and Cancer Connection

When I told the story last week about the lady and, apparently, her doctor, who were unaware of the sugar-cancer connection, I ran out of room to be properly short in a blog.  So, this is the continuance.

I read an article in Natural News written by Jonathan Benson published July 18, 2013 which talks about  scientists from University College London (UCL) in the U.K. experimenting with a new cancer detection method that involves utilizing a unique form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Ordinarily cancer screenings use low-dose radiation injections to identify the presence of tumors, which makes sense as radiation is another known cause of cancer. Cancer tumors, which feed off sugar, light up brightly as they contain high amounts of sugar.

"The new technique, called ‘glucose chemical exchange saturation transfer’ (glucoCEST), is based on the fact that tumors consume much more glucose (a type of sugar) than normal, healthy tissues in order to sustain their growth,” explains a recent UCL announcement, noting that tumors appear as “bright images” on MRI scans of mice.

I care about this in particular because the treatment I want to have if my Kickstarter project is successful requires that I have a PETscan first.  PETscans use a radioactive SUGAR dye injection that doctors use because it allows them to see cancer tumors "light up".  The treatment doctors want to see how many and where tumors are throughout the body of anyone seeking treatment.  I know there are things I can do to mitigate the effects of the PETscan radioactive dye, but there is nothing to be done about the sugared "dessert" the cancer cells are going to get as a bonus for the doctor's learning.  I have never had a PETscan, but I know they are often prescribed.  If you get interested in my book project, you will learn more intimately about my experience, but I promise to keep my blog followers informed along the way.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment