Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cancer and Fear, Doubt, and Worry

My crowd funding project is over and I didn't meet my financial goal, but I got a lot of other benefits, including learning a lot about the cancer community in general.  Tweeting was the biggest catalyst for that because it is so quick and there are SO many places where groups and information are made available.  That is what brings to mind a subject that deserves some attention.


Science has now proven that thoughts really are things.  People with positive attitudes and some religious beliefs long considered it true before scientists found a way to prove it.  So, you would think that a world fraught with burgeoning cancer diagnoses and websites and support groups and treatment options that there would be a focus on keeping fear, doubt, and worry at bay.  But it just isn't so.


I am a person who falls into the positive attitude crowd and my spiritual beliefs support the idea that thoughts have influence, so I looked long and hard the last 6 weeks to find anywhere where that was the foundational support for any group or site.  I didn't find it.  If it exists, it certainly isn't front and center or easily found.


What is easy to find is information on the latest drug research and chemotherapy treatment and places to get access to them.  So are places where people chronicle their treatments, surgeries, and physical aches, pains, and symptoms.  There are diaries of stories written by husbands and relatives.  There are financial pleas for assistance.  I found myself feeling bogged down and moving away from my knowing that all is well and I am being healed by what I am doing based on all the "evidence" of people who also believed in and hoped for a cure and are still dying.


I don't know have an answer to what I or anyone else can do to change the collective thinking or the consciousness around having a cancer diagnosis, but I do know that the answer to every problem is inherent in the description of it.  Information that leads to fear, doubt, and worry are center stage on the web for cancer patients when hope, encouragement, and right thinking are what is needed.  Ponder that.

No comments:

Post a Comment