Sunday, December 22, 2013

Nontoxic Cancer Treatment Financial Need Vastly Underestimated

I had gotten the information about the nontoxic treatment for my breast cancer from my holistic health practitioner, who had gotten hers from the clinic.  What she had not done is get the entire overview of what actually happens beyond the initial 4 days of IV treatment with the $32,000 price tag.  A few days after my Indiegogo crowd funding project was up and running, I took the time to call the clinic myself to get the full download.  As someone who prides herself on being a wise researcher, this is something I can't believe I didn't do earlier because I got seriously brought up short. 

I was truly sobered to hear that a much higher total is needed to get everything handled under the current protocol and during the first year of required follow-up to be certain the cancer is gone and stays that way.  In case new readers come on board and just for the collective memory, I must elaborate.

The clinic does have an initial 4-day treatment with a price tag of $32,000, but the current average stay is 9 or 10 days.  Each subsequent day beyond the fist 4 costs $5,000 per day at the clinic. Blood test expenses at a local lab are not included in that number and, even if there were insurance that might pay, it would certainly be "out of network" and covered at a reduced rate.  Some people have had to continue the IV for much longer with the longest infusion being an incredible 22 days!  With everyone's system being different, they have no way to estimate how long I would need to be there.  So, just planning for an additional 6 extra days to be "average" tacks an additional $30,000 on to the bill. 

It is important to note that the woman to whom I spoke who had been there since early in 2013 had yet to see anyone come with an uncompromised immune system like mine is.  Most have compromised or ruined their immune system with chemo and the cancer was not gone back or had returned with a vengeance and the patient was looking for another answer to give them hope.  This is the tragedy of the traditional approach to cancer.  Chemotherapy is so counter-intuitive to maintaining good health.      

But,  I digress.  Back to the treatment costs.  Two days prior to the infusion beginning, a PetScan must be taken and a port inserted in a large vein.  Price tag for those items - $4,400-$6,600 for the PetScan and $2,000 - $3,000 for the port.  I split the difference on them both which added $8,000 more to the total need.

Required blood tests beyond the 4th day and during the first year bump the total by another $10,000.  While a few might be covered by insurance under Obamacare, the biggest share of that total are not.
Adding the required post-IV immune system testing, paying for the organic food and its preparation to accommodate the rigid dietary requirements while at the clinic that is not included in the cost, and travel to and from brings the war chest requirement to nearly $100,000. 

After I got over the initial shock and my jaw off the floor, I thanked Rebecca for the reality check and then asked if she was aware of any other options with a smaller price tag.  She told me that Cancer Treatment Centers of America requires a bank roll of a minimum of $250,000 for anyone who seeks to take advantage of treatment outside that which traditional insurance covers, which they do offer - things like acupuncture, vitamin supplementation, massage therapy, hot infrared treatments, and more.  So, with that in mind, the more holistic treatment I want is quite the bargain.

That's it for today.  A lot to digest, but I figure anyone following my blog now or who may do so in the future should know the truth that I know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment